Tuesday 7 October 2008

Roll me away

Bob Seger's Roll me away. What a song. Sometimes I put this on in the kitchen when I cook. Problem is I can't keep still, the music goes straight to your feet and makes you want to dance. Well it does it for me!!

This is one of the great 'road' songs, invoking the wide open spaces, the road, the journey, the freedom. For a couple of years I bummed about, slept wherever, went where I wanted and this song brings some of that back. It also has memories of the wide open roads of Texas for me. Once, after a conference in San Antonio, I hired a car and drove down to Mexico. Great wide roads through the dessert, dinner on a river boat in Corpus Christi, tour of the space ships at Houston. This song was on the tape in the car and it soooooo fitted the journey.

It is just good old-fashioned, head down, rock and roll from a master. If you have never heard the song listen to it now.

No comments: